Three years ago, I bought a home in Sugar Land, Texas. It was originally built in 1977. While it had been maintained very well, the previous two owners had not done any updating. They merely kept it clean and tidy. I ended up getting the house at a greatly reduced price because of that.
For the past 2 years, I’ve been doing a lot of remodeling to give the house a modern update and a much needed facelift. One of the projects that ended up last on my list, was the wet bar. Typically, I don’t use the wet bar. I don’t hang out in that little ‘closet’ of a room and I usually drink wine, not mixed drinks. In addition, I just didn’t have any inspiration on how to fix it up. Did I want to make it a wine cellar type of thing(which did not really go with this kind of home)? Did I want to make it more of a DJ/Music Room type of place? Or did I want to make it a nicer bar area for when we have parties? I just didn’t know.
I had looked at hundreds of photos on-line, visited model homes in the area and couldn’t ever get inspired. Finally, I just started tearing out the old counter tops, the heavily textured sheetrock that was popular back in the 1970’s and eventually raised the ceiling that was lowered too – popular then but too low for today’s open concept rooms.
Step by step, I re-did the plumbing, the wiring, the lights and flooring and eventually tore out the cabinets too. Slowly, a plan developed as I chose colors, cabinets and trim. I raised the countertops to 40 inches. I hired a carpenter to make me new cabinets and a painter to put a professional coat of paint on them. I wasn’t sure what to do with the walls and backsplash but after two outings, I found this amazing tile at Floor & Decor and that settled the design part of the project. I did the tile work, the undercounter lighting and the trim work around the doors and bar counter.
I had originally hoped to do the wet bar for under $1000 but as with the rest of the house, if it does’t feel special or have some kind of interesting element, I won’t be happy with it. I had looked at pre-fab cabinets and came close to buying them but they needed to be modified to fit and looked too much like Home Depot stuff. So, I hired a carpenter to make me custom cabinets that ended ended up costing around $2000. The granite slab which I picked out at the stone yard supply was $500. The contractor charged $800 for the labor to cut and install it. Add the glass in the cabinets, the lights, the trim molding, sink and faucet and the total ended up over $4000. After it was all said and done, I love this little room! It’s got a cool, modern vibe to it now and has become an area of high interest rather than an eye-sore.
Being able to do a lot of the work saved me money on this project. None of it was easy but I feel a great deal of pride when all of that hard work paid off. With most of the house updated now, the Master Bed and Bath is next. I’ll be taking a break for a month or two before starting on that. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to blogging more, doing more photography and working on my Tango and Swing dancing again.
This was one of those projects that didn’t start with a master plan as many decorators would recommend. I usually don’t start a project until I have at least 60-70% of the design settled in my mind because that helps prevent errors and avoids unexpected costs later. Because I just couldn’t get inspired, I just started the demolition part, did the rough-out with the plumbing and sheetrock and somewhere around that point, the rest of the design came together. When you look at these pictures it’s easy to see how nicely things all worked out, but there were many, many decisions to be made to get this finished bar. Colors, cabinet door style, sink size, switch location, wiring for lighting, trim materials – its hard work! I started it in October and finished it just in time for Christmas. A successful construction project is so rewarding. I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Here’s a few more pictures: